Today’s post is going to be a little bit different from my typical music and popular culture posts. I will be writing lifestyle posts every once in a while and today I will discuss goal setting and how to chase your dreams.
Just like anyone out there, I also have great dreams and aspiration that I want to accomplish. However, there is a difference between wanting to achieve your dreams and actually doing something to make your dream attainable! We usually hesitate to go after want we want in life because the goal or dream may seem intimidating or not easily attainable. Which is not the case, no matter what you want in life there is always a way to achieve it if you want it badly enough. There is a saying “there is no such thing as impossible the word itself says ‘I’m possible’ ” I find this saying very inspiring and I think all of us need some encouragement to take action. According to Dr. James Prochaska, to be ready to set goals and start creating change in your life you have go through 5 stages of change. These stages are the following:
- Precontemplation (not ready for change)
- Contemplation (thinking about change)
- Preparation (preparing for action)
- Action (actually taking action to achieve your desired goal)
- Maintenance (maintaining good behavior and actually sticking to your goal and keep going forward)
I personally have gone through these stages as well and I am currently finding myself going back forth from stage to stage. In my opinion some people are reluctant to go after their dreams because 1) they are intimidated from the obstacles they have to face 2) setbacks, the person is delaying the process of going after their dream and they simply give up 3) criticism, there could be people that will say your dream is unrealistic and not achievable. Let’s discuss these three points and how to overcome them, so that people can be more confident in their abilities.
Obstacles are a natural part of change and when you set a goal for yourself, prepare yourself that you will be faced with some obstacles. The important thing is not to give up and come up with strategies to overcome these obstacles. It can be easy to give up when something challenging is thrown at you, but think about how much you want to achieve your goal and keep trying. Instead of thinking about how you may fail, think about how satisfied and proud you will be to succeed. We are all intimidated and scared to chase what we want because it seems like such a big change, but if we let fear overcome how we think, we will be at a standstill. I am pretty sure no one wants that and everyone single one of you have a big dream/goal that you wish to achieve.
Delaying your goals and dreams is probably the worst thing a person can do. Over time what happens is that we loose the drive and motivation and we end up accepting that our goals may not become a reality. I would have to say that I am guilty of doing this at times and to be honest it’s not the greatest feeling. We end up feeling defeated and defeated from what? Nothing, that is the answer because we haven’t even tried in order for us to feel defeated. How can we possibly tell ourselves that we will fail, when we haven’t even tried. What’s stopping us from making small steps is negative self-talk, such as “I will never succeed”, “What’s the point of trying when nothing will happen”, “I am worthless and this will never come true”. Let me stop you right there and tell you that, that is not true. When you think that way, then no wonder you will feel defeated, sometimes we are our own worst critics. If we stop over thinking every little thing and situation, stop being shy and afraid and just be spontaneous in life, then everything you want will become a reality if you do not give up.
There will always be that one person who will try to discourage you from your dreams and if you listen to that person, then you let that particular individual win. There could be many reasons why they decide to do this 1) they truly think your dream is not attainable 2) they haven’t had their dreams fulfilled, therefore they hate to see anyone else succeed. Some people may not understand your dream and they are not discouraging you intentionally. However, once they see you do what you love and see you happy, they will understand why you want it so much. On the other hand, other people discourage you from taking action because they are insecure and jealous. My advice to all of you is, do not listen to those people and do what you want to do. You have one life to live and live this life doing what makes you happy and what you are passionate about. Don’t you think that if you listen to people one day you will deeply regret it? Are they the ones living your life or you? In order to avoid this from happening you need to show these people that nothing will stop you to achieving your goal. Do not let others influence you and tell you how to live your life. You are the main character in your own life, so take action and write your story the way you want it to be!
- Write it down. Buy a journal or a notebook and write down the goals you have and then break it down and write what you will do each day to make this goal become a reality. Making small steps is actually a huge step and finally having the courage to pursue this dream.
- List your personal benefits. Write down how this goal will benefit you in the long run and have a pros and cons column. It’s best to visualize yourself achieve this dream and visualize how you will feel once you achieve it. You have to be 100% sure that this is something you want to do for the rest of your life.
- Identify obstacles and risks. Preparing yourself for any obstacle is important, so that you can come up with solutions about how to tackle them.
- Support team. Making your dreams come true depends solely on you because you are the only one who will take action, but it always helps to have a support network and people who will encourage you. Let’s be honest we all need some encouragement sometimes. This encouragement can either come from friends, family or both.
- Each day do a little something and you are one step closer to your goal. Be proactive and instead of staying at home, go out and take action.
There different types of goals that you might want to achieve, such as:
- Financial (be financially secure)
- Family (wanting to spend more time with the family or go on a vacation together)
- Physical (wanting to be more fit or live a healthier life style)
- Attitude (become a positive person and not let daily stressors stress you out)
- Pleasure (pamper yourself more and learn to relax more)
- Public Service (wanting to contribute more to the community)
For me my main goals are career, financial, physical and attitude! I work hard everyday to accomplish these goals because I know that it is vital for me, in order to live the life I want. I want to be working my dream job, be financially secure, become more fit and ditch junk food and finally become better at handling daily life stressors.
If you know what you want to achieve that’s great, if you don’t then that’s alright. You may think you will be the only one who doesn’t know what to do for a living, but there are tons of people out there who don’t have clue. It will be good idea to do a little soul searching and try out different things that you think you might enjoy. Who knows maybe from doing these different things, one day you will figure out what you want to do with your life. There are even some adults who don’t know, so don’t be hard on yourself.
Take it one day at a time and you will see how proud and happy you will feel! Good luck and may all your dreams come true.
Let me know in the comments box below what are your goals and also if you have achieved any of them yet!
See you soon.