The year of ballads, 1950s inspires tunes and funky beats, 2013 was a fabulous year for music. Now it is time to recap the top 20 song of 2013, the pick was incredibly difficult because there are countless of amazing songs. There were many songs that did not make the cut. The factors that were taken into consideration when the top 20 songs were picked are:
- Billboard Chart Performance
- YouTube views
- Critical Reception
TOP 20 MUSIC VIDEOS (2013)
20. Paramore – Still Into You. Paramore is back and Hayley William’s vocals are catchy and strong. It debuted number 1 on the UK Rock Charts.
19. Britney Spears – Work B**ch. This is Britney Spears’s lead single for her eight studio album “Britney Jean”. This dance/electropop song reached number 12 on the Billboard Hot 100. The message that is conveyed in this song is to work hard to achieve anything that you want to accomplish in life.
18. Dj Zedd ft. Foxes- Clarity. Dj Zedd a Russian/German dubstep and techno/house producer made his debut with his song “Clarity”. “Clarity” peaked at number 1 at the US Hot Dance Club Songs, the song is nominated for Best Dance Recording at the 56th Annual Grammy Awards.
17. One Direction – Story of My Life. “Story of My Life” is folk/pop single, the music video is touching showing the boys growing up throughout the years. The song reached the number 1 spot on the Irish Singles Charts and New Zealand Singles Charts and number 6 on the Billboard Hot 100.
16. Katy Perry – Roar. “Roar” debuted number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for eight consecutive weeks and it also reached the top of the chart in countries such as France, Italy and Switzerland. The single is nominated for Song of The Year and Best Pop Solo Performance at the 56th Annual Grammy Awards.
15. Labrinth ft. Emeli Sande – Beneath Your Beautiful. A beautiful soulful duet that deserves a spot on the top 20 list. This ballad peaked number 1 at the UK Singles Chart, it is certified as Platinum and it has been nominated for Bri Award at the 2013 Brit Wards for best British Single.
14. Imagine Dragons – Radioactive. A brand new alternative rock band made its way into the music scene this year, making their entry with their popular song “Radioactive”. The single was featured on “The Host” soundtrack this year, the song reached number 1 in Sweden and number 3 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song is nominated for Record of The Year and Best Rock Performance at the 56th Annual Grammy Awards.
13. Eminem ft. Rihanna – Monster. “Monster” has been a huge success, topping the charts in many countries. Rihanna’s vocals are powerful and Eminem’s rapping is flawless.
12. P!nk ft. Nate Ruess – Just Give Me A Reason. P!nk and Nate Ruess are magical together, singing a song about holding on to a relationship that will crumble down if you do not let go. The song debuted number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and it has sold over a million copies.
11. Bruno Mars – When I Was Your Man. This single is a soul/pop ballad about a girl Bruno regrets letting go before his fame. As usual Bruno’s vocal work is outstanding, the single peaked at number 2 in the UK and it is nominated for Best Pop Solo Performance at the 56th Annual Grammy Awards.
10. Rihanna ft. Mikky Ekko – Stay. This was Rihanna’s number one ballad that she has ever sang. The emotional and touching ballad peaked number one in many countries such as Bulgaria, Canada Israel and many more. The song landed the number 3 spot on the Billboard Hot 100, the vulnerability and raw emotion of this song makes it special and noteworthy.
9. Lady Gaga – Applause. Lady Gaga is back! The ectropop hit debuted at the number four spot on the Billboard Hot 100. The singles has sold over a million views and it is one of Gaga’s best song from her album “Artpop”.
8.Taylor Swift – I Knew You Were Trouble. The Country Princess took a different route with her album “Red” by trying out a different music direction from her typical country sound. It surpised fans, but it was a very bold move by Taylor. “I Knew You Were Trouble” is an ectropop genre debuted at number 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 1 on the Hot Digital Songs Chart.
7. Robin Thicke ft. T.I., Pharrell – Blurred Lines. Called one of the most controversial song of the decade is also one of the catchiest song of 2013. “Blurred Lines” debited number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for twelve consecutive weeks and the Billboard R&B Songs Chart. It the second best selling song of 2013, selling about 5 million copies within 22 weeks. The single is nominated for Record of The Year and Best Pop Duo/Group Performance at the 56th Annual Grammy Awards.
6. Avicci – Wake Me Up. “Wake Me Up” is a soul/folktroci song produced by the Swedish Dj Avicci. The single landed the number 4 spot on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 1 on the US Dance Electronic Songs and US Hot Dance Club Songs.
5. Daft Punk ft. Pharrell Williams – Get Lucky. The disco/funk song makes you want to get up and dance, the single has sold over 7.3 million copies. “Get Lucky” debuted number 1 in Belgium and Britain for the very first time. The single is nominated for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance and Record of The Year at the 56th Annual Grammy Awards.
4. Macklemore ft. Ryan Lewis – Thrift Shop. The Seattle-based music duo made people talk and love “Thrift Shop” for it’s down to Earth lyrics and funky rhythm. The hit single peaked at number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, selling 7 billion copies worldwide. “Thrift Shop” received a Grammy nomination for Best Rap Performance and Bast Rap Song. Currently the single has about 430 million views on YouTube.
3. Lorde – Royals. There no question that Lorde is the next big thing in the music and not to mention her hit single “Royals”. The song definitely makes cut as one of the best songs of 2013, the mix of different music genres and a meaningful song message is a winner. “Royal” was released on March 8, 2013 and it is a mix of pop, rock, blues and grime. The sigle peaked at number 1 for 9 consecutive weeks and it nominated for for Song of the Yeat and Record of The Year at the 56th Annual Grammy Awards. There is a bright future ahead for Lorde.
2. Miley Cyrus – We Can’t Stop. Despite the fact that Miley has been having a controversial year, there is no doubt she has been topping the charts with her 2013 singles. The single peaked at number 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 1 on the UK Singles Chart, the single has old over a million copies.
1. Justin Timberlake ft. Jay Z – Suit and Tie. After waiting for years, JT finally made his comeback to the music scene with his single “Suit and Tie”. This jazz and R&B inspired tune, quickly reached the number one spot on iTunes, shortly after being released. The song landed the number 3 spot of the Billboard Hot 100 and sold 2,835,000 copies in the United States.
What was your favorite song of 2013?