It has been a very eventful year in the world of music, so I decided to pick the top 10 music moments of 2013. Enjoy!
Music in 2013!
1. Beyonce’s Surprise Album Release. Beyonce certainly surprised all of us this year with her surprise album release. Her self titled album was released on December 13, 2013, before she released her 14 track album, Beyonce revealed that she recorded 80 songs. Her album currently peak at number one on the Billboard chart for third week in a row. Queen Bee has done it again.
2. Destiny’s Child Super Bowl 2013 XLVII Halftime Show Reunion. If you grew up listening to Destiny’s Child, then this moment brought back many nostalgic feelings. The performance was pure perfection, it was great seeing them back together. Now time for 2014 album release, it doesn’t hurt to hope.
3. David Bowie’s Return. You thought you’ve seen the last of David Bowie in the music industry, didn’t you? Well surprise, surprise, David Bowie is back with his twenty-fourth studio album, “The Next Day”. This is Mr. Bowie’s first album since 2003, his album is ranked the second best album of 2013 and the album is nominated for Best Rock Album at the 2014 Grammy Awards.
4. Cory Monteith’s Farewell. A sad moment in music this year was the passing of Glee star, Cory Monteith. Cory passed away at the tender age of 31 years old from his hard battle with substance abuse addiction. Cory started to seek help the beginning of 2013, however being addicted since his teenage years, he lost his battle. It was a very emotional moment for his fans, family, friends and his girlfriend Lea Michele. Rest in peace Cory.
5. Justin Timberlake’s return to the music scene. This is a moment that many fans have been waiting for, including myself. Mr. Timberlake came back to the music scene with bang and he has once again reminded us of his great talent.
6. Miley Cyrus’s controversial return. There is no doubt that Miley Cyrus made the headlines very frequently this year with the release of her single “We Can’t Stop”. To top it all off, her VMA performance was the cherry on top, in a bad way. Miley’s old Hannah Montana image no longer exists and Miley has made that very clear with her actions. I wonder what Miley has in store for us in 2014.
7. Macklemore/Ryan Lewis and Lorde Takes Us By Storm. This year has been a great year for introducing new and unique artists in the music industry. Macklemore, often compared to Eminem because of his outstanding rapping abilities, became a mainstream artist thanks to his hit single “Thrift Shop”. A catchy beat, with interesting lyrics, the duo, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis continue to introduce great new hits. Lorde’s unique persona and captivating music style is the new big thing in music. The 17 year old New Zealand singer shined with her song “Royals”. Both artists have been nominated for a Grammy.
8. YouTube’s Viral Music. There is no question that 2013 was the year of catchy music from the “Harlem Shake” by Baauer to the “The Fox” by Ylvis. “Harlem Shake” peaked at number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and the song became so viral, that people began recording dances to this song. “The Fox” peaked at number 6 and it has about 309,611,919 views. Both song became a worldwide hit for their catchy melodies.
9. Daft Punk’s Groovy Return. Daft Punk returned to the music scene this year and it has been very exciting. This is their first album release since 2005, fans were excited to see the biggest electronic music duo. Their new album is packed is funky/groovy tracks, if you are an electronic music fan then this album is for you.
10. TLC’s Comeback at the AMAs. The last time we saw TLC together was paying a tribute to Left Eye at the VMAs, this year they finally made a comeback with Lil Mama taking Left Eye’s place. It has been confirmed that TLC will be going on tour in 2014, however exact dates have no been announced yet. I’ll keep you posted when I hear something.
What was your favorite music moment of 2013?