Canada is celebrating Thanksgiving in October, in case our American neighbors didn’t know! This week I sat down with my students and asked them to share what they are thankful for on Thanksgiving. Keep in mind, these are four to six year olds and some of the responses will make you chuckle, while others will make you think.
Common answers I received are (my toys, video games, Halloween and parties), then there were the more meaningful answers such as (my family, my dog, having a roof over my head, food and my cousins). This got me thinking how much we take for granted the simple pleasures of life and how preoccupied we become with materialistic needs. I am not going to lie and I’ll confess to you that I used to be very materialistic, having luxury and brand name goods (which I can’t afford anyway) made me think this is what it means to live a good/successful life. I felt like this is what I need to have to feel thankful and happy in life, but I was wrong. I believe that the older we get, the wiser we become and I am simply turning into an adult (even if I don’t like) and begin to view life differently. If something were to happen to you (knock on wood), lost someone, lost your home or your job, that Gucci bag is not going to make you feel better. It is an item you will have that doesn’t bring any value to your life.
My goal for this year is to learn to be thankful for the important things in my life that I take for granted! Here is my thankful list:
1. Having a roof over my head! There are so many people who live homeless and long for a warm home t, I am lucky to have a home.
2. Food! Hunger is one of the issues in the world that is still not resolved, people die from hunger everyday. I am fortunate to have food on the table every day.
3. A job! Sometimes my job can drain my energy and frustrate me, but there are many people who would do anything to be employed. That’s why I have chosen to focus on the positive aspect of my job, the kids! These kids have brought a smile on face many times when I didn’t feel happy, I am thankful they cheer me up (I work in daycare btw).
4. Loyal friends! Meeting trustworthy people is hard, especially people who can be loyal to you. I am fortunate to have a few close friends that are always there for me when I needed it the most. You guys are the best, you know who you are 🙂
5. Making new friends! I made lots of new friends thanks to my best friend, while we were attending her wedding festivities,.It felt great to come out of my shell and be more social!
6. My mom! My family is very small, but it is enough! I am thankful for my mom who is a true fighter, coming to a new country and starting over. She is a true warrior!
7. Clothes! Nothing more to say about this one, it’s that simple.
8. Music! I guess that’s a random point, but I love music! It bring me life and joy, I am very passionate about it and I love to put on my headphones and forget about everything. Music is truly a wonderful thing, isn’t it?
9. Going back to school! I was lucky enough to find a good program at my old university, that’s only four courses and it will lead me to my ideal career path.
10. Being healthy! I think this one should’ve been number one on the list, but there is nothing more important than your health.
There we go, that’s my thankful list, now it’s your turn! Share with me one thing you are thankful for this year and why 🙂
I look forward to read what you guys have to say! Thanks for stopping by and see you soon!